So all of a sudden you are having to work from home but it’s not something that you are used to. You have no set routine and don’t know how you are going to communicate with the outside world.
Luckily, we live in a world where technology allows us to keep in contact with people no matter where we are in the world. So it should be easy to keep in contact with clients, friends and family in the same country right?
People are having to set up makeshift offices in their own homes so that they can still get stuff done, keep in contact with current clients and even get new business. This is all possible… but how?
Below I have listed different software solutions that can help make it easier to work from home (and we can use the same technology to speak to loved ones). I have recently done a virtual pub quiz and played Cards Against Humanity online with friends, chatting with them via video while playing.
It might be a little different, but I think this will become the norm in the near future. Working practices will definitely change in the future as people realise how technology can do away with bricks and mortar offices.
So the technology that can be used to have video calls and conferences are as follows:
- This has become a very popular solution as it is very easy to use. They also have a free level which allows you to conduct unlimited 1 to 1 meetings but it is restricted to 40 minutes.
- Microsft Teams
- Microsoft has made Teams available to everyone for free. You can sign up by going to this site and follow the instructions.
- This is another great solution if you are just looking to have meetings with your team.
- You may laugh that I have added this one to the list but many people have this app already and it does do video calls. It works really well. I have used it to speak to family all over the world and recently had a group call with my parents, my sister and my brother who now lives in Australia and there were no issues.
- I have used this system in the past but do not have any recent experience with it. It is a solid platform but seems to be used more in corporate institutions.
- I have never used this system but decided to add it in as I have seen many people rave about it.
I have only named a handful of systems above. There are definitely a lot more like Skype but I have limited my list to the most popular.
There are many different video streaming solutions out there but you will need to find the one that you are most comfortable using for yourself as well as your potential clients.
I will be creating some video walkthroughs and training on some of the above platforms so keep an eye out for those.
If you do have any questions please leave a comment below or click on the chat button in the bottom right corner and we can have a chat.